Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Travelling is addictive and healthy

The travel drug is addictive, but not necessarily bad like other drugs. It helps many people get out of a rut by. The fear of the unknown or the fear of flying holds some people back. 

Travel has long been the only available to the rich, but in this age of budget airlines and Couchsurfing, it is now available to all.

The main thing that prevents most people from travelling more is TIME and making it your priority, so I say do it while you are young and have time. We are all given exactly the same amount of time in each day, it is up to us how we use it -- our choice. I personally believe everyone should travel and your first passport should be free.

I am a big fan of Erasmus and although I haven’t done it myself, I did my own thing and went to the US, I think this should be more available in other countries

It would create a better society and help more people experience travel. This would also create a culture that is more accepting of others from completely different countries. If I have friends all over the world why would I be racist or intolerant of others? If I travelled more, I would probably realise that we humans have a lot in common no matter where we are born or raised. 


Imagine travelling and seeing it for yourself instead of getting second hand information and experiences from the News, TV and friends. 

As 80% of the US don’t hold a current passport, it means that a good part of their world view comes from TV, and we all know that TV and all media has a bias, some more extreme than others. At least with the internet, more information can be spread faster and across boundaries that it could not cross before so easily.

A classic example of not having time was when I won a free trip to Norway this year for two all expenses paid. I invited my family and friends but nobody could take 2 weekdays off work at 2 week’s notice for a 4 day trip. I eventually found someone, but it shows how important time is. Time is the only thing you can’t buy more of, we all are given the same amount of hours in each day, it is what we do with it that counts.

No comments:

Post a Comment